October 4-13, 2019 (10 Days | 9 Nights)
- Detailed Itinerary (Updated April 29, 2019)
- Important Documents/Websites
- More INFO? Email Dr. Ken Schweitzer at email@example.com
Through a collaboration between Washington College Alumni and Ashé Cultural Tours, Washington College Alumni (with their friends & family) have the opportunity to participate in an immersive Cuban Music and Culture experience, including daily performances of Cuban traditional/popular music, jazz, and Latin jazz. This multi-city tour which runs from October 4-13, 2019 is led by Washington College professors Ken Schweitzer (music) and Aaron Lampman (anthropology), each of whom have extensive knowledge of Cuban Culture and share a deep desire to offer participants an insider’s view of Cuban Music, art, culture, cuisine and politics.
The cost is $2,999 per person. Tour cost indicated is for double accommodation. Upgrades to single accommodation can be offered on a limited basis (rooms are in high demand) for $300/person.
REGISTRATION, DEPOSITS AND PAYMENTS (Processed through Washington College)
- Deposit Deadline for Guaranteed Participation ($300) | Due June 1, 2019*
- Second deposit ($300) | Due July 19, 2019
- Balance | Due August 23, 2019
* Tour requires at least 14 participants to run. In the event tour is cancelled due to low enrollment, all deposits will be refunded. Enrollment is established on a first come, first serve basis up to a maximum of 23 participants. In order to ensure availability of housing and transportation, enroll before June 1, 2019. After June 1, we will still accept deposits (up to the maximum of 23) assuming we can secure housing and transportation. Deposits and payments are non-refundable 48 hours after their respective deadlines. To protect your investment, consider Travel Insurance, which can be purchased at any time. Be aware, however, that Travel Insurance is most effective when purchased with a few days of making your initial deposit. For more info.
Overview of Included Costs
Housing, Food, and Transportation
- Round-trip flight from FLL (Fort Lauderdale to Cuba)
- All necessary travel visas (for US citizens, not born in Cuba).
- Medical Travel Insurance
- 5 nights accommodation in Havana
- 1 night accommodation in Viñales
- 2 nights accommodation in Trinidad
- 1 night accommodation in Fort Lauderdale
- 8 home cooked breakfasts
- 3 lunches (at local restaurants)
- 5 home cooked dinners in our Havana host’s home
- All program related ground transportation in Cuba, including airport transfers, intercity buses, local taxis, and bike taxis.
- All museum and concert entry fees connected to the program
- Internet based education, lists of recommended background material including readings and podcasts, and on-site talks and informal lectures by Cuban Music and Culture experts of Washington College, Dr. Ken Schweitzer (Music Department) and Dr. Aaron Lampman (Anthropology Department).
The following is NOT INCLUDED
- Meals outside Cuba (e.g., dinner & breakfast in Ft. Lauderdale)
- Six lunches and three dinners in Cuba
- Taxis hired during limited “free-time.”
- Optional Travel insurance
- Souvenirs & snacks/drinks (though we try to offer ample complimentary refreshments and snacks throughout the day)
- Checked baggage fees