Jan 12-20, 2019 (9 Days | 8 Nights)
Join us for 8 nights in Cuba! In addition to 6 nights in Havana, we will spend two nights in either Trinidad de Cuba or Viñales (Piñar del Rio Province). Our time in Havana coincides with a portion the Havana International Jazz Festival.
Option 1: $2725 (with early bird discount):* DESIGNED FOR EASTERN SHORE OF MD RESIDENTS. In addition to all activities listed below, this option also includes:
- (1) a round trip private coach bus from Kent County Maryland to Newark Airport (EWR),
- (2) airfare from Newark to Havana (direct flight 3.5 hours), and
- (3) appropriate travel visas for American Citizens (non-Cuban born).
Option 2: $2175: (with early bird discount)* DESIGNED FOR PARTICIPANTS WHO WILL ARRANGE OWN AIRFARE/VISA TO HAVANA. Option 2 is available to participants traveling from outside the Kent County, MD region. These guests should arrange their own transportation to Havana, including airfare and visas (generally $50-$100). Upon arrival in Havana, we will arrange for your transportation to our downtown homestays. (Deposit and Payment Deadlines)
* These prices already reflect the early-bird discount of $200 for deposits made before September 1. Other discounts are available, as well, include discounts for parties of 4 or more. Tour cost is per person with a double accommodation. Upgrades to single accommodation can be offered on a limited basis (rooms are in high demand) for $300/person.
DEPOSIT AND PAYMENT (For Mailing Address Click Here)
- Early Bird Deposit ($250) | Due September 1, 2018
- Regular Deposit ($250) | Due October 15, 2018
- Balance | Due December 1, 2018
- An Overview of Included/Excluded Costs are listed below
- A Detailed Day-By-Day Itinerary is available, as well. Ashé Cultural Tours reserves the right to make changes to the itinerary in order to accommodate the availability of artists, lecturers, and venues, and to account for unpredictable weather conditions.
Overview of Included Costs
Housing, Food, and Transportation
- 6 nights accommodation in Havana
- 2 nights accommodation in Trinidad de Cuba or Viñales.
- 8 home cooked breakfasts
- 2 lunches (at local restaurants)
- 6 home cooked dinners in our host’s home
- All program related ground transportation in Cuba, including airport transfers, intercity buses, local taxis, and bike taxis.
- All museum and concert entry fees.
- Optional salsa classes
- Two optional educational sessions at The Mainstay, lists of recommended background material including readings and podcasts, and on-site talks and informal lectures by Cuban Music and Culture experts of Washington College, Dr. Ken Schweitzer (Music Department) and Dr. Aaron Lampman (Anthropology Department).
- Guided 3-hour convertible tour of Havana in 1950s era American cars
- Guided 3-hour walking tour of La Havana Vieja (Old Havana) – 1.5 miles
- Guided 2-hour walking tour of Vedado neighborhood – 1.5 miles
- Guided 2-hour tour of the Museo de la Revolución
- Guided tours of the Rum and Tobacco Factories
- Driving tour into the countryside around Trinidad to view the sugar plantations and remains of the old sugar mills
- Daily concerts (Rumba, Son, Cabaret, Folkloric, Classical, etc.), including the world-famous Tropicana Night Club and the Havana Jazz Festival.
- Guided evening tour of Havana’s fort (including a nightly Canon Ceremony).
- Professional salsa dance classes designed for beginners.
- Group discussions (led by Ken Schweitzer and Aaron Lampman) of Cuban music and culture, and the monumental change rippling through Cuban society as a result of the opening of relations with the U.S.
- You’ll have plenty of free time to explore the city on your own
- We’ll be sure that you have time to enjoy Cuba’s natural beauty and will help arrange visits to two beautiful white sand beaches (Playas de Estes outside of Havana & Playa Ancón outside Trinidad)
- Though we can make no guarantees, we will do our best to get the group invited to a Santería (AfroCuban traditional) Religious Ceremony
- Additional activities TBD
The following is NOT INCLUDED
- Roundtrip travel to Havana, Cuban Tourist Visas (included in Option 1, not option 2)
- Checked Baggage Fees (1st bag $25 | 2nd bag $40 | each way)
- Meals outside Cuba (e.g., breakfast/snacks in Newark Airport & lunch on the plane)
- Five lunches in Cuba
- Two dinners in Trinidad or Viñales, and any optional dinners enjoyed in private restaurants.
- Taxis hired during limited “free-time.”
- Optional Travel insurance (recommendations will be provided)
- Souvenirs & snacks/drinks (though we try to offer ample complimentary refreshments and snacks throughout the day)