Jan 12-20, 2019 (9 Days | 8 Nights)
Through a collaboration between The Mainstay in Rock Hall and Ashé Cultural Tours, Mainstay audiences have the opportunity to participate in an immersive Cuban Music and Culture experience, including several nights at the Havana International Jazz Festival. This multi-city tour which runs from January 12-20 is led by Washington College professors Ken Schweitzer (music) and Aaron Lampman (anthropology), each of whom have extensive knowledge of Cuban Culture and share a deep desire to offer participants an insider’s view of Cuban Music, art, culture, cuisine and politics.
The cost is $2725 per person (which includes a $200 early bird discount for deposits made before September 1). Tour cost indicated is for double accommodation. Upgrades to single accommodation can be offered on a limited basis (rooms are in high demand) for $300/person.
DEPOSIT AND PAYMENT (For Mailing Address Click Here)
- Early Bird Deposit ($250) | Due September 1, 2018
- Regular Deposit ($250) | Due October 15, 2018
- Balance | Due December 1, 2018
- An Overview of Included/Excluded Costs are listed below
- A Detailed Day-By-Day Itinerary is available, as well. Ashé Cultural Tours reserves the right to make changes to the itinerary in order to accommodate the availability of artists, lecturers, and venues, and to account for unpredictable weather conditions.
Overview of Included Costs
Housing, Food, and Transportation
- Private Coach Bus Transfer from Kent County to Newark International Airport
- Round Trip Airfare from Newark (EWR) to Havana (HAV)
- Cuban Tourist Visa (for American Citizens, non-Cuban born)
- 6 nights accommodation in Havana
- 2 nights accommodation in Trinidad de Cuba or Viñales.
- 8 home cooked breakfasts
- 2 lunches (at local restaurants)
- 6 home cooked dinners in our host’s home
- All program related ground transportation in Cuba, including airport transfers, intercity buses, local taxis, and bike taxis
- All museum and concert entry fees
- Optional salsa classes
- Two optional educational sessions at The Mainstay, lists of recommended background material including readings and podcasts, and on-site talks and informal lectures by Cuban Music and Culture experts of Washington College, Dr. Ken Schweitzer (Music Department) and Dr. Aaron Lampman (Anthropology Department).
- Guided 3-hour convertible tour of Havana in 1950s era American cars
- Guided 3-hour walking tour of La Havana Vieja (Old Havana)
- Guided 2-hour tour of the Museo de la Revolución
- Guided tours of the Rum and Tobacco Factories
- Driving tour into the countryside around Trinidad to view the sugar plantations and remains of the old sugar mills.
- Daily concerts (Rumba, Son, Cabaret, Folkloric, Classical, etc.), including the world-famous Tropicana Night Club and the Havana Jazz Festival.
- Guided evening tour of Havana’s fort (including a nightly Canon Ceremony).
- Professional salsa dance classes designed for beginners.
- Group discussions (led by Ken Schweitzer and Aaron Lampman) of Cuban music and culture, and the monumental change rippling through Cuban society as a result of the opening of relations with the U.S.
- You’ll have plenty of free time to explore the city on your own
- We’ll be sure that you have time to enjoy Cuba’s natural beauty and will help arrange visits to two beautiful white sand beaches (Playas de Estes outside of Havana & Playa Ancón outside Trinidad)
- Though we can make no guarantees, we will do our best to get the group invited to a Santería (AfroCuban traditional) Religious Ceremony
- Additional activities TBD
The following is NOT INCLUDED
- Checked Baggage Fees (1st bag $25 | 2nd bag $40 | each way)
- Meals outside Cuba (e.g., breakfast/snacks in Newark Airport & lunch on the plane)
- Five lunches in Cuba
- Two dinners in Trinidad or Viñales, and any optional dinners enjoyed in private restaurants.
- Taxis hired during limited “free-time.”
- Optional Travel insurance (recommendations will be provided)
- Souvenirs & snacks/drinks (though we try to offer ample complimentary refreshments and snacks throughout the day)