May 9-18, 2019 (10 Days | 9 Nights)
Through a collaboration between The Mainstay in Rock Hall and Ashé Cultural Tours, Mainstay audiences have the opportunity to participate in an immersive Cuban Music and Culture experience, including daily performances of Cuban traditional/popular music, jazz, and Latin jazz. This multi-city tour which runs from May 9-18, 2019 is led by Washington College professors Ken Schweitzer (music) and Aaron Lampman (anthropology), each of whom have extensive knowledge of Cuban Culture and share a deep desire to offer participants an insider’s view of Cuban Music, art, culture, cuisine and politics.
The cost is $2725 per person (which includes a $200 early bird discount for deposits made before September 1). Tour cost indicated is for double accommodation. Upgrades to single accommodation can be offered on a limited basis (rooms are in high demand) for $300/person. Note: Travelers who do not live near the Mainstay, and who wish to arrange their own transport to Cuba (ground transportation in the US, flight, & visa) receive a $550 discount.
DEPOSIT AND PAYMENT (For Mailing Address Click Here)
- Early Bird Deposit ($250) | Due December 1, 2018*
- Regular Deposit ($250) | Due February 1, 2019
- Balance | Due April 1, 2019
* Please note that our previous tour with the Mainstay (Jan 12-20, 2019) sold out within 9 days of its announcement. If you are interested in participating, please contact us at your earliest convenience (email@example.com) and plan to send in your deposit long before the deadline.
- An Overview of Included/Excluded Costs are listed below
- A Detailed Day-By-Day Itinerary is available, as well. Ashé Cultural Tours reserves the right to make changes to the itinerary in order to accommodate the availability of artists, lecturers, and venues, and to account for unpredictable weather conditions.
Overview of Included Costs
Housing, Food, and Transportation
- Coach bus from Kent County to Newark Airport (EWR)**
- Medical Travel Insurance
- Round-trip flight from Newark to Havana**
- All necessary travel visas (for US citizens, non-Cuban born)
- 7 nights accommodation in Havana
- 2 nights accommodation in Trinidad de Cuba
- 9 home cooked breakfasts
- 3 lunches (at local restaurants)
- 7 home cooked dinners in our host’s home
- All program related ground transportation in Cuba, including airport transfers, intercity buses, local taxis, and bike taxis.
- All museum and concert entry fees.
- A minimum of one salsa class.
- Two optional educational sessions at the Mainstay, lists of recommended background material including readings and podcasts, and on-site talks and informal lectures by Cuban Music and Culture experts of Washington College, Dr. Ken Schweitzer (Music Department) and Dr. Aaron Lampman (Anthropology Department).
** The proposed itinerary has us leaving together from Newark Airport in NJ. However, at this time not all the airlines have released their flight schedules for May. At a later date, we may opt to shift our departure to an airport in the Washington, DC area.
- Guided 3-hour convertible tour of Havana in 1950s era American cars
- Guided 3-hour walking tour of La Havana Vieja (Old Havana)
- Guided 2-hour tour of the Museo de la Revolución
- Guided tours of the Rum and Tobacco Factories
- A variety of other tours, selected based on availability and client interests.
- Driving tour into the countryside around Trinidad to view the sugar plantations and remains of the old sugar mills.
- Daily concerts (Rumba, Son, Cabaret, Folkloric, Classical, etc.), including the world-famous Tropicana Night Club
- Guided evening tour of Havana’s fort (including a nightly Canon Ceremony).
- Professional salsa dance classes designed for beginners.
- Group discussions (led by Ken Schweitzer and Aaron Lampman) of Cuban music and culture, and the monumental change rippling through Cuban society as a result of the opening of relations with the U.S.
- You’ll have plenty of free time to explore the city on your own
- We’ll be sure that you have time to enjoy Cuba’s natural beauty and will help arrange visits to two beautiful white sand beaches (Playas de Estes outside of Havana & Playa Ancón outside Trinidad)
- Though we can make no guarantees, we will do our best to get the group invited to a Santería (AfroCuban traditional) Religious Ceremony
- Additional activities TBD
The following is NOT INCLUDED
- Checked Baggage Fees, estimated at (1st bag $25 | 2nd bag $40 | each way)
- Meals outside Cuba (e.g., breakfast/snacks in Newark Airport & lunch on the plane)
- Five lunches in Cuba
- Two dinners in Trinidad or Viñales, and any optional dinners enjoyed in private restaurants.
- Taxis hired during limited “free-time.”
- Optional Travel insurance (recommendations will be provided)
- Souvenirs & snacks/drinks (though we try to offer ample complimentary refreshments and snacks throughout the day)